How to Identify Mold

Posted on August 11th, 2017

Mold can be incredibly destructive to your home, and also has negative effects on your health. Stopping mold before it spreads is extremely important. Here are signs to watch for when it comes to mold.

 

Allergies

Some types of mold can cause severe allergies, and if you are suffering from them, this could be a sign that there is mold in your home. Common reactions to mold include sore eyes, runny nose, sneezing and nasal congestion. If these symptoms seem to worsen when you are at home, then that could be a sign of mold. If you have worse allergies at some other location (such as work), there could be mold growing there.

 

Smell

There is a simple way to tell if there is mold in your home, and that is by smell. The smell of mold is produced by gasses, and while many are odorless, some have a musty smell. This is why many basements smell musty. Be aware of this smell, especially if you have had water in your basement or any other location in your home.

 

Mold Growth

Seeing mold may seem obvious; however, it can commonly be mistaken for dirt or soot. People will often ignore mold when they see it, thinking it is just dirt. If you do see mold anywhere in your home, make sure to have it removed as quickly as possible. This will prevent spreading. Also, visible mold can be a sign of larger unseen mold growths within the walls. There are many different types of mold to watch for. It can be white and stringy, or have black spots. Mold comes in a variety of colors to watch for, including gray-brown, gray-green, white, black and sometimes orange, pink, or purple.

 

Water Damage

If there is a location in your home with a history of water damage, you will almost always have mold. Mold thrives off of moisture, so always keep an eye out for signs of water damage. This can look like discoloration on floors, ceilings, or walls. Another tell-tale sign of mold is peeling, cracking, or bubbling of paint or wallpaper. Address the problem as soon as you can if you see anything like this.

 

Condensation

If you live in a wet area and have a basement, condensation can be a big cause of mold. A dehumidifier can help cut down the moisture in the air. Feel the walls for dampness, and if they are damp, take steps to remove the water. If there is already mold, call a remediation company.

 

Toxic

Some types of mold are actually toxic, and can cause more severe reactions such as headaches, short attention spans, memory loss, dizziness, and trouble concentrating. These are all signs that mold could be in your home and are releasing toxins. This isn’t always the case, but it can be extremely harmful in large amounts.

 

Call an expert if you suspect any mold. It is much safer (and better) to deal with mold before it has had time to spread.

 

Save