There have recently been massive storms in the northern Indiana area. The power of a storm can be awe inspiring and enjoyable to watch, but they can also cause destruction. There was so much rain, that many basements have been flooded that normally wouldn’t have issues with water. It is time to call a restoration company! Here is what to do and what NOT to do after you have water damage.
- Take Photos of the water damage and send them to your insurance agent. Also take pictures of anything else that has damage.
- Check for safety; if you are walking or touching water, be extremely careful. If there is any electricity in the water, it could cause you to be shocked.
- Check for damage to plumbing. Shut off your water main to ensure there are no leaks. You may need to contact a plumber.
- Disconnect appliances, such as: refrigerators, ovens, dehumidifiers, fans, etc. Standing water obviously can damage these products, but can also cause further damage to your house.
- Check your roof. If the damage was caused by a roof leak, check for missing shingles. Call a roofing company to repair any damage, so that further leaks are prevented.
- Call a restoration company. If you have water damage, calling a restoration company is vital. Even if you mop up and remove water that you can see, there can still be damage done within your floors or walls. Mold can easily grow in these areas. A restoration company can help prevent ongoing issues with water damage and mold.
No one wants water damage to happen, but if it does, having a certified and experienced water damage restoration company is critical. Make sure that your homeowner’s insurance policy covers water damage, so you don’t have to pay the bill if flooding does occur.